31 October 2012

Halloween: Taipei Style



 Halloween

Though Halloween is not officially celebrated outside of the US there are pockets of Western influenced people that make sure October 31st is not forgotten.  In Taipei, many English language schools, expatriates and international students will celebrate Halloween this year.  Cat's Language School, where I teach, does a great job of decorating, creating a "trick or treat" experience and making the library into a haunted house for the students.

At first, I was lazy about the idea of finding or making a costume.  I wanted to save the money.  However...  



While helping my brother look for a Halloween costume, I found one at this three story costume shop at Ximending, Taipei.  The owners were great, custom jobs, three floors of costumes and inventory all stored in their minds (no computer.)  At the back of the shop there was a small room with some sewing machines and smiling ladies.  This is us on the third floor looking for my costume....

Here is it! I am "Bajiajian" It was so awesome I couldn't just go home and let it "sit on the shelf" so met up with Christine, another English teacher, for a Halloween costume party.  
八家將.  

Jessica came to see my costume and help with makeup.  She did a creative job with only an eye liner pencil and some, errr toothpaste.  We're getting ready for the party...there is a cash prize for sexiest costume and best costume.  We all feel I could win either one at this point....
Inside the Halloween party I met "zipper face" girl.  We both made it to the final round of the competition!! (best dressed)   




----Hours later-----

I WON!  5,000 New Taiwanese Dollars for the Best Costume!  Around $170!  Whoop Whoop.  








 Sunday night I let my room mates try on the costume.  This is Eri!  The costume was a little smelly from the Halloween party wearing but she didn't complain. :)
MONDAY.....
八家將 (Bajiajian) @ Cat's School for the Halloween day.  

Teacher Peggy helps my class eat lunch and take a nap everyday.  She also helps translate and communicate with the parents.  We love T. Peggy! 

Ambrose and Brian waiting for trick or treat time.  

Brian learned the word "Ceratops" today.  

Kelly and Yoyo. 

....More cuteness

Emily 

Some witches and a spider queen. 

Benjamin with a pumpkin wand.  The only kid in the whole school who didn't "like" candy.  

Sweet Dora rushed back from a family trip to be back in time for the Halloween party.  

Getting ready to go trick or treating.  

Almost trick or treating...

The staff dressed at Adam's Family!  They did a great job! 

and we're trick or treating....stopping at a bank, 7-11 and other near by companies with "pre-planted" pots of candy.  

The kids used the "trick or treat, smell my feet...chant" 


Ambrose and Brian. 

A tired god and batman.  

Batman and the pumpkin witch

Dora drawing an "angry pumpkin" on the board. 



Benjamin drawing a "grumpy pumpkin" on the board. 

Emily's emotional pumpkins.  

Waiting to go into the "haunted house."
  3 out of 10 cried : / They are so young.  I would have been one of the criers at their age.  Even now, I don't enjoy being scared...not at all.
A little video/glimpse into a day at school.  We've been working on "sitting properly."  Some of the boys tend to end up on the floor, crawling around or sitting backwards.  

THE END!! 
Trick or Treat
Smell my Feet
Give me Something Good to Eat
If you don't 
I don't care
I'll pull down your underwear! 



No comments:

Post a Comment